The quest for the perfect burger is a preoccupation for many a carnivore. With or without pickles? Cheddar or Monterey Jack? Is bacon a must or does it take away from the purity of the patty experience? Brioche bun or standard white with sesame seeds? You be the judge.
From September 1-7 10 local restaurants throw down during Le Burger Week. The festival, which debuted in Montreal in 2012, has now spread to 11 cities across Canada and even a few in the U.S.
People’s Choice Award: The Upper Deck Diner and Dairy Bar
- Burger Name: Double Decker Donair Burger
- Burger Description: Half pound of fresh grilled seasoned all beef patties, topped with tomato, diced onions and smothered with Halifax Sweet Garlic Donair sauce. Available in a single burger and gluten free!
Judges’ Choice Award: Burgers N’ Fries Forever
- Burger Name: AVOcontrol
- Burger Description: Deep-fried Avocados – Chipotle Lime Sour Cream – Micro Greens – Cheddar – Fried Tortilla Strips – Halal grass-fed patty.
Most Creative Burger Award: World Burger
- Burger Name: New Orleans Burger
- Burger Description: A delicious burger that will make you feel like it is Mardi Gras any time of the year. A juicy 6oz patty atop a bed of lettuce topped with world Burgers made in house pulled pork, zesty pepper jack cheese, chipotle mayo, a crispy onion ring and homemade BBQ chutney to tie it all in. A burger worthy of celebrating! Ground Veal Patty, Budweiser Beer Battered Onion Rings, Aged White Cheddar, Bourbon BBQ sauce, Bacon, Lettuce and Pickles, with a choice of Fries, Mixed Green Salad or Caesar Salad.
Healthiest Burger Award: Hard Stone Grill
- Burger Name: Mediterranean Burger
- Burger Description: Culinary Cultural Interchange! Handcrafted, Half Pound Certified Angus Beef, stuffed with Grilled Halloumi Cheese, topped with tabbouleh, Arugula and Hummus Aioli. Served on a Toasted Kaiser Bun with Fresh Cut Fries & Pickled Turnip Slaw.
The challenge? Each participating restaurant must create a unique burger that reflects its cuisine. Burger lovers are encouraged to stop by, grab a bite, and vote for their favourites.
While some of Ottawa’s participating restaurants are keeping their entries secret until the last minute, a few decadent creations are already in the public sphere.
Kinki Lounge, for instance, has gone decadent with the Bling Bling Burger, whose toppings include double-smoked bacon, Swiss cheese, grilled onions and mushrooms, Carolina coleslaw, jalapenos, chipotle mayo, ketchup, and mustard. Phew! Not sure how that’s all going to fit.
Smoke’s Poutinerie, meanwhile, has come up with a deconstructed “burger” layered over its signature fries. Then there’s Hard Stones Grill, which has gone Mediterranean with an angus patty topped with grilled halloumi cheese, tabbouleh, arugula, and hummus aioli — fries and pickled turnip slaw on the side.
City Bites Hot Tip: Do your research! There are only seven days and 10 restaurants so you’ve got to be discerning. Participants (aside from the aforementioned three) are: Art-Is-In, World Burger, Bâton Rouge, Burgers n’ Fries Forever, Ichiban, The Cross on Elgin, and Golden Fries.
City Bites Hot Tip #2: Not in the mood to drive? Le Burger Week has teamed up with Skip The Dishes and Just Eat so you can order in. All the more reason to eat, drink, and deliberate with a group of fellow burger enthusiasts.