Would you brave the elements to get a drink? Or make a drink?
Despite the heavy snow and freezing rain, 40 bartenders from across Ottawa piled into Common Eatery this past Monday night to participate in this year’s Made with Love mixology competition. Judges tested the contestants’ creativity by assigning each a surprise spirit and ingredient.
So, what can you make with thyme and tequila? We found out.
With 40 contestants, this year’s edition of Made with Love Ottawa was bigger than those in Montreal and Toronto. Some participants said the competition is helping to put Ottawa bartending on the map. (In fact, Julian Bernard from Fauna Ottawa won last year’s national finals.) The Ottawa regional finals take place on March 19 and will feature the following 18 winners from this week’s event:
- Connor Currie – Charlotte Ottawa
- Justin Fraser – Common Eatery
- Cory Contini – Zoe’s
- Mark McLachlan – Atari
- Julien Forrester – steak & sushi
- Natalie Sole – Belmont
- Jesse Baillie – Independent
- Chris Howell – EVOO Greek Kitchen
- Jason McNeely – Play Food and Wine
- Stan Reyes – Datsun
- Josh Schweyer – Bar Lupulus
- Jennifer Gwynne – Tomo
- Christopher Vachon – The Clocktower Brew Pub
- Gabriel Tessier – Bar Laurel
- Jovan Morales – Kinki Lounge Kitchen
- Jeremy Gaulin – Foreign Cinéma
- Jeff Taylor – South Block Whiskey Bar
- Cody Nicoll – Joey Restaurant Group // LOCAL Lansdowne